Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Banner Ads on Google

Today I read an article about Google and the use of banner advertisements that come up on the side of the website. There are two different views on how useful these advertisements are, and if they're really beneficial or not. Some statistics say that banner ads have less than a .01% click through rate, even though some companies pay thousands of dollars for their ad. Another statistic states that the average internet user is bombarded with 1,700 banner ads per month. This made me look back and try to remember any specific ads that I've seen on the side of Google. Every time I use Google for something, I will never click on the banner ads on the side, mainly because they don't apply to me, and because I don't know how reliable they are.
I know that many people are told not to click on any side banners or pop up ads because they're fake, sometimes containing viruses and bugs for your computer. I think banner ads are a complete waste of money for most companies that use them, and they should definitely find another way to advertise their product or service.

Click here to learn more stats about banner ads:
http://blog.hubspot.com/horrifying-display-advertising-stats

No comments:

Post a Comment